July
21
Sunday

Boxing News|Boxing beat

share

33°C Clouds
Tokyo

Boxing News | Boxing Fights,Results

Home > Match Information > All 4 boxers in 2 interim world minimumweight fights on Apr. 16 clear weigh-ins

All 4 boxers in 2 interim world minimumweight fights on Apr. 16 clear weigh-ins

Apr 15, 2023 17:23 pm

All the four boxers taking part in the two interim world minimumweight title matches cleared the weigh-ins at a Tokyo hotel on Apr. 15, setting the stage for their respective 12-round fights at Yoyogi National 2nd Gymnasium on the following day.

The World Boxing Council’s third-ranked Yudai Shigeoka of Watanabe Boxing Gym and seventh-ranked Wilfredo Mendez of Puerto Rico each tipped the scales at the class limit of 47.6 kg, while the International Boxing Federation’s third-ranked Rene Mark Cuarto of the Philippines and Yudai’s younger brother and fourth-ranked Ginjiro Shigeoka also weighed in at the class limit, respectively.

The 25-year-old Yudai said at a press conference held after the weigh-ins, ‘’I want to end the event (dubbed ‘‘3150FIGHTVol.4’’) with more powerful knockout win than my brother because my brother would pass a baton on to me with a KO victory.’’

The 26-year-old Mendez, a former World Boxing Organization minimumweight kingpin, said, ‘’I want to win the fight so that I can have a chance to become the real champion in the division.’’

While Yudai was supposed to challenge champion Panya Pradabsri of Thailand, Panya cancelled the fight earlier this month due to his catching the flue. Mendez will stand in for Panya.

Yudai is undefeated in his six bouts, four by KO, whereas Mendez has a record of 18 wins, including six knockouts, against two losses. Unlike right-handed Panya, Mendez is left-handed.

The 26-year-old Cuarto, who had a long face-off with the 23-year-old Ginjiro, said, ‘’Tomorrow it will be a quick fight as I will knock him out without much ado.’’ He wants to regain the title he lost to Daniel Valladares of Mexico in a split decision last July in Mexico.

Ginjiro will face Cuarto instead of Valladares because Valladares is out of action as he is said to be suffering from his left ear problems after his fight with Ginjiro on Jan. 6 in Osaka, and the IBF agreed to install an interim champion.

The Valladares-Ginjiro fight was declared no decision (no contest) as Valladares could not continue the fight due to an accidental head butt in the third round.

Ginjiro said, ‘’I hope my brother will concentrate on his warm-up while I was fighting since I want to serve as a second for him since I am determined to knock him out intactly.’’

Cuarto has a record of 21 wins, including 12 KOs, against three losses and two draws, whereas Ginjiro is undefeated in his eight bouts, six by KO, and one no contest.

Related article